The Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! is back with our good friend, Ande Parks. We convinced him to pause his great 2015 Star Trek re-watch long enough to join us on the call to discuss his new comic book, Seduction of the Innocent, with artist Esteve Polls from Dynamite Entertainment. It’s 1953, and San Francisco’s crime lords are being murdered. The young FBI agent assigned to the case must deal with his own nightmares while trying to keep the city from slipping into anarchy.
In early 2016, Ande and his family will be traveling to England for a study-abroad opportunity. Ande will make the most of this adventure by teaching an “Art of the Graphic Novel” course at Harlaxton College. We discussed the reading list for the class, which includes:
- Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
- Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics by James Sturm, Andrew Arnold, and Alexis Frederick-Frost
- A Contract with God by Will Eisner
- The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
- Capote in Kansas by Ande Parks and Chris Samnee
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, and Lynn Varley
- You Are Here by Kyle Baker
And in between all of that, we fill in the conversation with talk of apple cider, fedoras, inking comics, Metcalf South, and much more. As always, we are the Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER!, and we hope you enjoy the show.
The Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! is proudly sponsored by Clint’s Comics. Clint’s is located at 3941 Main in Kansas City, Missouri, and is open Monday through Saturday. Whether it is new comics, trade paperbacks, action figures, statues, posters, or T-shirts, owner Jim Cavanaugh and his friendly and knowledgeable staff can help you find whatever it is that you need. You should also know that Clint’s has the most extensive collection of back issues in the metro area. If you need to find a particular book to finish the run of a title, head on down to Clint’s or check out their website at clintscomics.com. Tell them that the Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! sent you.