In honor of the 227th episode of the Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER!, we spotlight the legendary career of actress Marla Gibbs, star of the 1980s TV comedy 227.
From IMDb, “Armed with an acid dry wit and a full arsenal of sarcasm and sass, African-American character comedienne Marla Gibbs showed up on 70s TV with a bang in middle age (44). Landing the feisty maid role on the popular ground-breaking CBS comedy, The Jeffersons (1975), eventually led to her very own sitcom, 227 (1985), a decade later and international celebrity. A divorced mother with three children (Angela Elayne Gibbs, Dorian, Joseph) at the time of her initial success, it was a job transfer from Detroit to Los Angeles, while working as a United Airlines reservation clerk, that set up this more-than-welcome surprise and change of destiny.”
In addition to our career retrospective of Marla Gibbs, we take time to discuss:
- The first episode of Titans has hit the DC Universe streaming service. We have all watched the first episode, and are ready to share our opinions of what works (or doesn’t) for this new take on the Titans legacy.
- With the focus on Titans, DC is introducing a new storyline in the pages of Nightwing that involves an identity change. Is this the best time for Dick to become Ric?
- We have our weekly Pick 3 of new books coming out next Wednesday? This week features one book from Archie Comics, and two books from DC Comics. Can you guess who made the Archie Comics pick?
- What’s in the box? The new package of books has arrived from DCBS, and we crack it open to reveal what Jerry and John picked up for the first two weeks of October.
- We finish it up with some teasing talk about artist John Byrne possibly returning to Xavier’s Academy for Gifted Youngsters to chronicle the continuing adventures of the X-Men. Color us interested!
We would love to hear your comments on the show. Let us know what you’ve been reading or watching this week. Contact us on our website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or by email. We want to hear from you! As always, we are the Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! and we hope you enjoy the show.
The Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! is proudly sponsored by Clint’s Comics. Clint’s is located at 3941 Main in Kansas City, Missouri, and is open Monday through Saturday. Whether it is new comics, trade paperbacks, action figures, statues, posters, or T-shirts, the friendly and knowledgeable staff can help you find whatever it is that you need. You should also know that Clint’s has the most extensive collection of back issues in the metro area. If you need to find a particular book to finish the run of a title, head on down to Clint’s or check out their website at clintscomics.com. Tell them that the Worst. Comic. Podcast. EVER! sent you.
Categories: Podcast Episodes, Uncategorized, Worst Comic Podcast Ever
Leave a Reply